A long time ago in 334BC during the Great Dionysia Festival, thousands of theatregoers went to the theatre of Dionysus in Athens, Greece to watch a play competition. The audience was loud, cheering and booing. Most importantly the audience got to judge the competing plays. A trophy was awarded not to the actors, directors or playwright, but to Lysicrates, the person who sponsored the winning play. The trophy was a bronze tripod placed by Lysicrates on top of his monument.
James Martin, inspired by his studies of ancient Greece, had a replica of the Lysicrates Monument carved for the garden of his home in 1868. The monument was later moved to the Royal Botanic Gardens in Sydney, to be enjoyed by all. Over the years some of the sandstone had worn away from the wind, rain, sun and salty air. Stonemasons recently recarved some of the missing details. We are very fortunate to have such a beautiful and accurate copy in Sydney.